Chocolate Cream Pie with Praline Sauce
- Crush graham crackers in a food processor or underneath a rolling pin. Mix with melted butter and sugar. Press on the bottom and sides of a deep dish 9X5-inch pie tin.
- Place in oven for 12-14 minutes or until edges are golden and crisp. Set aside.
- In a saucepan whisk egg yolk with 3-4 tablespoons milk, add cornstarch and mix very well. Add remaining milk, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil while constantly whisking. Once mixture has thickened, remove from heat.
- Add vanilla extract and chocolate and whisk smooth. Add butter and mix until combined. Scrape edges well or pour into another bowl. Cover with plastic food film, with the plastic touching the cream to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool for 20-30 minutes.
- Stir chocolate cream until smooth and scrape cream into pre-baked pie shell. Place in refrigerator.
- For praline sauce, combine brown sugar, heavy cream, butter, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 4-6 minutes or until caramel coats the back of a spoon. Add pecans and vanilla and set aside.
- For marshmallow meringue, place egg whites and sugar in a mixer bowl and whisk over low simmering water until very warm or reaches 145°F. Remove from heat and whip until stiff peaks form, about 5-8 minutes. Add salt and vanilla extract.
- Remove plastic from pie, spread a 1/3-inch layer of marshmallow meringue onto chocolate cream.
- Gently spoon pecan caramel onto meringue.
- Re-whisk remaining meringue to make it creamy and smooth, and decorate pie as desired.
- Place under a broiler for a few minutes or use a blow torch to brown marshmallow meringue.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Moon Pie® is a registered trademark of MoonPie. All rights reserved.