Marranitos (Piggy Cookies)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- Pig shaped cookie cutter
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, ground ginger, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Cream butter with mixer until smooth. Add dark brown sugar, mix well scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add 1 egg, molasses, milk, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- With mixer running slowing add dry ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- Divide dough in half, with lightly floured hands shape dough into disks, cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg and water. Transfer dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out dough to about 1/4-inch thick. Lightly dip piggy cookie cutter into flour, cut and place 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Brush with egg. Bake 10-12 minutes, until edges are lightly browned.